Listen Now! or Subscribe in iTunes
The Ninth edition of the Archetypal Tarot Podcast attempts to do justice to the Justice card, which
is number 8 of the Major Arcana.
After setting out on a newly realized journey on the Chariot, our hero quickly faces some form of judgement. Justice, pictured as a stern-looking woman is reminiscent of the Goddess of Wisdom, Athena, who assists our hero to view his challenges with a rational, dispassionate perspective. Holding both sword and scales, Justice cuts through to truth and weighs the balance of our ways. Listen in as Julienne recounts the myth of Solomon and also explores the shadow side of Justice. The archetype of the Avenger is briefly explored as Cyndera poses a question to our podcast audience: Do the ends justify the means if the oppressed triumph over their oppressors by using methods that mirror their oppressors’ ways?
We are asked to leave the subjectivity of the Hero for the wisdom and objectivity of the Judge and Mediator archetypes.
Listen in on a conversation with Tarot consultant Cyndera Quakenbush and Archetypal Consultant
, Julienne Givot, as they discuss the symbolic and real world qualities of these archetypal characters.
Jung and Tarot: And Archetypal Journey by Sallie Nichols
Examples of the Judge in Film/TV/Drama:
- Gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning ( 1988)
- Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)
- Anthony Hopkins in Amistad (1997)
- Meryl Streep in Iron Lady (2011)
- Hugo Weaving in The Lord of the Rings (2001)
- The character of Oberon in Midsummer Nights Dream
- Raymond Massey in East of Eden (1955)
- Lena Headey as Cersiei in Game of Thrones (HBO 2011/12)
- Tsai Chin in Joy Luck Club – both shadow and light (1993)
Like what you heard on the podcast? Share us on Facebook (handy button below) or give us a review on iTunes.